Thursday, September 12, 2013

Student singed in ragging

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-09-08/kolkata/41873419_1_engineering-student-deganga-college-authorities

 BARASAT: The ragging horror returned to haunt the state with an engineering student allegedly singeing the face of a junior at Deganga in North 24-Parganas on Saturday.

 The 20-year-old mechanical student of Acharya Jagadish Chandra Polytechnic College was allegedly attacked because he refused to do drugs, which the senior student had repeatedly tried to force him into. Rajib Kumar, a second-year student, suffered burns when Govinda Jadav, a third-year student of mechanical engineering, allegedly pressed a chillum against his left cheek.

 After being treated in hospital, Rajib complained to Debabrata Pradhan, the teacher in charge of the college, and lodged an FIR with Deganga police on Saturday afternoon. Jadav has gone into hiding. According to college sources, Rajib, a resident of Ranaghat in Nadia, has been staying with two classmates in a mess adjacent to the college for about one and a half years.

 Jadav, a resident of Jharkhand, started living with them in the same room around two months back. Jadav allegedly drank and did drugs in the room and also forced the others to join him. "Jadav beat me up several times as I strongly protested against taking drugs in the room.

He abused me verbally and threatened me. The situation worsened on Friday when my two roommates were asleep," Rajib said. According to Rajib's complaint, after taking ganja, Jadav tried to force him to take it. "It was around 11.30 pm. He first held the burning chillum in front of me and asked me to smoke it. When I refused, he threatened me with dire consequences and tried to force me.
 When I put up a fight, he pressed the chillum against my left cheek. I screamed out in pain, which woke our roommates. Jadav fled," Rajib said in his complaint. Pradhan said the college authorities have taken up the matter seriously. "We will take stern action against the accused after holding a meeting on Monday.

 A committee has already been formed by the college to inquire into the matter," Pradhan said. Barasat ASP Bhaskar Mukherjee said they have received a complaint and started a probe. "We are looking for the accused," he said.

No comments: