Thursday, September 12, 2013

MP: Victim’s father alleges indifference to ragging

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/MadhyaPradesh/MP-Victim-s-father-alleges-indifference-to-ragging/Article1-1109570.aspx

 The father of a victim of ragging in college has said that the principal and police did not heed his complaint when he tried to apprise them of the matter. The victim, Harsh Chauhan, 18, a B.Sc first-year student, is undergoing treatment in hospital with serious injuries on his head and left eye.

 While the principal of the college, Sunanda Raguhuvanshi said Harsh tried to “sexually harass” some girls and then senior students retaliated against this, station house officer Pragya Arya said the girls with whom Harsh had “misbehaved” assaulted him.

 When asked whether the girls concerned had approached her on this, Raguhuvanshi said, “No, they fear it will bring them a bad name.” Harsh said: “On the day (August 14) when six seniors attacked and injured me badly, I went to the college principal with a bleeding head to ask her for help but instead of helping me, she asked me to leave her room and closed the doors of the chamber.

 Later, I went to the police station, where two seniors of my college were present. They insisted that I do not lodge a complaint against anyone. Despite their warning, I went ahead and lodged the complaint but the police also asked me not to blow the issue out of proportion.”

No comments: