Thursday, September 12, 2013

Harassed by fellow trainees, 17-yr-old girl commits suicide

Unable to take the constant harassment by fellow trainees at a private company in Nashik, a 17-year-old girl committed suicide on Sunday. Six boys and four girls, whose names were mentioned in her suicide note, have been arrested for ragging her and remanded to four days’ police custody.

 On Sunday evening, after her parents and brother had gone to the market, the girl slit her wrists and then hanged herself in her house Indira Nagar. Her brother returned home first and, after she didn’t open the door, informed her father.

 He broke open the door only to find his daughter hanging. She was rushed to a city hospital where she died on Tuesday morning. The police arrested the 10 accused on Monday under Section 4 of the Maharashtra Prohibition of Ragging Act 1999. They were produced before the court and were remanded to police custody for four days.

Their names are -- Bhushan Pardeshi, Abjijeet Bhor, Vishal Korade, Amit Pawar, Swapnil Sonawane, Harshal Patil, Shweta Shinde, Tejaswini Birari, Shubhada Kajale, and Neha Sonawane. According to the police, the girl was an apprentice at Nashik’s BOSCH company since one and a half year.

According to her suicide note, she was being harassed and mentally tortured by a group of 10 colleagues, including four girls, whom she has named in the note. Unable to deal with the continuous humiliation, she ended her life, the note said. The girl’s father stated that his daughter was an intelligent student. She topped in almost every course she took up. After securing good marks in standard X, she was selected as a trainee in turner trade at BOSCH.

She had also earned a gold medal in an exam conducted by the Computer Society of India. She had bagged a first prize at Bengaluru in June, at a national competition where she had represented her company. She was also selected for a training course in Germany on the basis of her intelligence, skills and sincerity. Her father also said that his daughter had mentioned that her colleagues were harassing and teasing her.

The girls and boys often taunted her and passed remarks, her father said, adding that he had also asked her to talk to her seniors without losing her focus at work. He had also spoken to her colleagues and requested them not to tease her, but that did not help. She had taken leave on Wednesday and Thursday as she was not well. But when she returned to work on Friday, the girls made fun of her with connotative comments. She was visibly depressed while going to work on Saturday, the day before she ended her life.

No comments: