Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Seniors ragged me, hit me with stick: Student

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-06-18/delhi/32298134_1_first-year-student-senior-cop-judicial-custody

NEW DELHI: A first-year student of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya Institute for the Physically Handicapped was allegedly ragged and assaulted by three of his seniors after he refused to pay one of them a paltry sum of Rs 250. The victim's statement (a copy of which is with TOI), says the incident occurred around 9.30pm after he returned to his hostel after having dinner. He had barely entered his room when one of his seniors, Shubham Bhardwaj, stopped him and asked him to cough up the sum or bring him a bottle of whiskey.

 "He was ragging me. He claimed to have won a bet and told me that I owed him either the money or the alcohol. When I refused to pay him, he picked up an ice-cream brick kept on my table and walked away. When I protested, he hit me on the head with a wicket," the victim said. The victim called the cops and was taken to LNJP hospital. The next day, Shubham, who had gone missing for a while, approached the victim again and asked him to compromise. He was accompanied by two of his friends, Vikas and Deepak.

The trio were in a foul mood as they had got to know that the victim had approached the police. "The other two held my hands and Shubham began to thrash me with a stick. hey kicked and punched me several times and didn't stop even though I was bleeding. One my classmates tried to intervene but he also ended up receiving blows," the victim said. For the second time, the victim was rushed to the hospital and admitted to the emergency ward. For a while, he wasn't in a position to talk.

The nature of his injuries was so severe that he couldn't even sign the statement. Cops had to make do with his thumb impression, said a source. A case of attempt to commit culpable homicide was registered at a central Delhi police station. All three students were arrested and sent to judicial custody, said a senior cop.

No comments: