Wednesday, May 30, 2012

4 Kashmiri students fear for their life

BHOPAL: A Kashmiri student of Barkatullah University has claimed that he and his three colleagues face a threat to their life after filing of a police complaint against a head of the department and some students of the university. Mohd Yousuf Parra, a post-graduate commerce student, alleged that the chief warden of Jawahar Lal boys' hostel in BU has threatened to kill me if I don't withdraw my complaints against the HoD and some students."

 According to Yousuf, Dr SK Khateek, who is head of the commerce department of the University Teaching Department, is unhappy with him over his filing of two complaints. "I lodged a complaint with the VC about my and three other Kashmiri students' ragging. There was another complaint against the HoD about his poor semester marks without any proper reason," Yousuf said. "I am scared. I came here with some aspirations and now people here are calling me 'terrorist'. I don't know what will happen next day," Yousuf said in somewhat an anxious manner. He added the situation became serious when he made a complaint against Dr Khateek to the university authorities on March 29, earlier this year. Yousuf said after the complaint, the vice-chancellor's office gave a letter to the chief warden seeking explanation. Yousuf then lodged a complaint with the Bagh Sewania police station on April 20 wherein he had stated that Dr Khateek has been threatening him. "He has threatened me with dire consequences if I keep pursuing the complaint. I am also being threatened by unknown persons," Yousuf stated in the complaint.

The chief warden, Dr Khateek, denied allegations. "I do not have any idea about it. There is no problem in my hostel," Khateek claimed. On complaints by Yousuf, chief warden said, "He was not happy after his poor result in third semester. We have topper students from Kashmir. There has been no issue," Khateek said. In three hostels of Barkatullah University --Jawahar Lal, Munshi Premchand and Sanjay Gandhi-there are 200 students in each hostel. In all, 30 Kashmiri students live in these hostels.

No comments: