Friday, January 06, 2012

2 engg students arrested for ragging

BANKURA, 14 NOV: Two fourth-year students of a private engineering college in Bankura were arrested today on charges of ragging a second-year student. The victim has been admitted to hospital.
The Anti-Ragging Committee of Mallabhum Institute of Technology, the private-owned engineering college in Bishnupur, meanwhile, has started an independent probe into the charges.
Dwaipayan Ghosh (see sns photo), the victim and a second year student, complained that two fourth-year students ~ Shantanu Chowdhury and Prithvijit Roy ~ entered his hostel room twice at 10.30 p.m. and at 2 a.m. last night and beat him up. He said: “As I refused to do dirty things they were asking for, they beat me up with a hockey stick. When I screamed for help my hostel mates rescued me. They returned again at 2 a.m. and forced open the door and continued the same torture.”
The student was taken to the Bishnupur SD Hospital this morning. He was released within an hour. After returning to the hostel the student felt severe discomfort and was taken to the SD Hospital again where he was admitted.
Considering the gravity of the situation, the college asked for immediate police intervention. Led by SDPO, Bishnupur, Mr DJ Das, a police contingent took control over the situation and arrested the accused students. Mr Pradip Ghosh, father of the victim, rushed to Bishnupur from Thakurpukur this evening. He alleged: “The college lacks proper surveillance. I came to know that similar instances had taken place in the past. The authorities had assured me security so I had agreed to admit my son.”

No comments: