Thursday, September 14, 2006

HOSTEL :: A film on ragging


Manish Gupta is miffed with rumours surrounding his second directorial venture SAAB CHAI PANI, allegedly bearing resemblance to the Om Puri starrer ARDH SATYA. 'I don't know from where these rumours have sprung up. It is really very distressing and disturbing. In ARDH SATYA Om Puri plays an honest cop who is frustrated by the system where as my film shows Sonu Sood accepting bribes and succumbing to the societal pressures,' says a livid Manish adding that it just has a slight resemblance to the film.

'Sonu turns corrupt owing to varied reasons. His wife is not happy with their way of life. It shows how professional life affects marital life and vice versa,' wails Manish dismissing all the allegations.

Nonetheless he is all charged about his forthcoming film HOSTEL, which deals with the issue of ragging that is very relevant in today's scenario. 'HOSTEL is a commercial film about a student played by Vatsal Seth who enters a notorious hostel and is ragged by his seniors. It's not just about one incident; but a string of incidents and is a real hard-hitting action film. It shows how students are tortured and harassed in the name of ragging,' he reveals.

Vatsal SethWhat about the bold scenes in the film? 'There is one scene where Vatsal is made to strip and has to parade but it has been shot in a decent manner. He was very apprehensive initially but I managed to convince him. I hope some kind of message or some good comes out of HOSTEL,' he adds.

Not many know that it was one horrific incident that prompted him to make HOSTEL, which still lingers on his mind. 'I actually conceived the idea 13 years back when I was doing my engineering. I met this one guy who was repeatedly raped every night. I was disgusted and extremely disturbed. It was very gross and I can't get over it till date. That's when I decided that I wanted to make a film on it,' sighs Manish.

He is in talks with producers and has three more films coming up.

No comments: