Thursday, February 22, 2007
ALOR STAR, Feb 21 (Bernama) -- The Air Force Training College trainees in Kepala Batas involved in the ragging of a junior may be brought before the Military Court or face a disciplinary action.
Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) Chief Gen Datuk Seri Azizan Ariffin said the form of action to be taken against them would depend on the internal inquiry into the incident which was expected to be completed in two weeks.
"The inquiry panel comprises a major and two captains," he told a press conference, here Wednesday.
He said 15 year three trainees were being investigated in connection with the case and their statements had been recorded.
The inquiry would also identify possible weaknesses in the RMAF training, he said.
"If there were weakness, we will correct them so that cases like this will not recur," he said.
Azizan said the outcome of the internal inquiry would not be made public.
TV3 in its prime news at 8pm last Monday, showed a video footage of severe raging on Muhammad Hazim Ahmad Azman, 20, who was in his pilot training there.
The recording, which was captured by a colleague, showed him being slapped, kicked, punched, stepped on and made to crawl on his knuckles. He was also forced to place his head in a rubbish bin, soak himself in a filthy drain and undergoing other forms of abuse.
Azizan said the incident should not have happened because trainees of the college were trained with high discipline.
"I would like to stress that the RMAF will not compromise and will not allow cases like this happen again," he said and added that the RMAF felt disturbed with the incident.
"Like incidents involving the RMAF aircraft, the abuse case makes us feel disturbed. We want to know the cause.
"As far as I know, there have never been cases like this," he said.
On investigations by the police on the same incident, Azizan said it was different because the police conducted the probe from the perspective of a crime being committed.
"The RMAF will give full cooperation and will not disturb police investigations," he said.
Meantime, the 15 suspects would continue to follow classes as usual, he said.